Sunday, September 12, 2010

Becca's New Puppy


Somehow it was decided that Becca needed a puppy to call her own.  Mom can take all the credit for this but I have to admit that I was just a bit excited at the thought of a new puppy in the house.  As Mom likes to say, “There’s always room for one more!!”  And the search began!  We looked at Corgis, Mini Schnauzers, Shelties, Border Collies, Brussels Griffons, Chinese Crested, Italian Greyhounds and more that I’m sure I can’t remember!!  Becca had been saying that she wanted a Poodle but that was a serious issue with me because they are one of my least favorite dogs (for several reasons).   So…Becca was shown at least 50 different non-Poodle puppies.  Every response was “Awww…its cute” but she would never commit to one.  Every time she would say “You decide”.  The searching was starting to feel pointless and it didn’t look like we were going to ever make a decision.  Then Friday evening, Becca and I came home and Mom said “How about a Bichon puppy?”  She showed us some puppies that she had found in WV about 3 hours away.  That was the trick!!  Becca made up her mind instantly that that was what she wanted.  The breed is close enough to a Poodle without actually being a Poodle.  Mom called the breeder and got all the information.  We were getting a puppy that weekend!!  Becca & I got up Saturday morning to go to a yard sale at one of the local churches and found a brand new crate that would work perfect for the puppy along with a very cute dog bed.  Was this a sign or what?!  Next, we went to Petco and bought the puppy some toys & a very cute pink party dress.  This is Becca’s puppy…what did you expect?  The decision was made to leave Sunday morning.  We got up bright & early (for a Sunday) and while Becca was eating breakfast I started getting the car loaded.  Unfortunately, I had left the sunroof open overnight and it had rained!!  The entire front of my car was SOAKED!!!  I was really hoping that this wasn’t a sign too.  After drying as much as I could and adding a waterproof pad and a towel to my seat, we were on our way.  Becca was so excited about going to pick out her new puppy, which she decided to name Alyssa.  Three hours later and we were there, looking at 3 gorgeous little balls of fluff.  Becca decided on her puppy and that was it.  We had a new member of our family.  I think she made a great choice (she is just like her Grandmother in many ways!!).  The ride back home was uneventful, aside from some puppy cries at the beginning and gridlock on 81 about 1 ½ hours from home.  But we made it!!  It was a long day and I was glad that we were home.  Mom came out to greet us and meet the new puppy.  Some pictures were taken; she met some of the gang and began to settle in.  All was well until, later that evening, Becca decided that the puppy needed a bath and dunked her in one of the dog pools.  Needless to say, she got in just a bit of trouble for that one!!  I blow-dried the shivering puppy and held her for a bit in a towel and all was well once again.  I am very excited about what is to come with Alyssa.  This is definitely something new for all of us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment